Yesterday evening my family went up to the Salt Lake Temple to be a part of Loraine and Judd's sealing! It was really something else. To see Judd as happy as he was, in love, glowing. It was a really cool experience. But what stood out to me even more that night, was the old blind man Scott and I talked with.
As we were waiting outside of the temple for Lu, Judd and their kids, I noticed an elderly blind man make his way out, obviously waiting for someone to take him home. I just couldn't get my mind off of him, I had such a strong urge to go talk to him; the feeling was so strong it about made me cry when I kept walking away from him. Finally, after about a half an hour of debating, I just had to go sit down by him and talk with him. He asked where we were from, what we were studying, how long we had been married, all those simple getting-to-know-you questions. He told us about all of his accomplishments in his life. He has designed houses and buildings all throughout Utah County. One of the houses he has designed has 12 bedrooms, 8 bathrooms and acres of property. His face would light up when he told us about his designs. I mean, this man was very accomplished and so very humble. He was excited to talk about his work, but did so in a way that gave me motivation to work hard in my life.
So why did I feel so prompted to speak with this man? Two statements in our entire conversation. When he asked if I was sitting by someone, and I told him it was my husband, he extended his hand to shake Scott's and said, "It's nice to see you." Later in our conversation, the old man told us a little bit about his patriarchal blessing. "I have a patriarchal blessing that promises me that no sickness or disease will come upon me." The way he said it, oh how I wish I could express it through these words. He was so optimistic about it. When he shared that with us, he just said it as plain as day; "I was promised this blessing of health, but I've been blind for 32 years...but there's nothing to worry about, because I am still here; I have lived an accomplished life, been blessed and I am happy." After thinking about this conversation with this old man through the remainder of the day, I realized why I needed to sit and talk with him. It's nice to see you; he could see who we were, see the kind of people we are, now. He taught me that sometimes, things take a turn away from what we've been promised but it's ok if that happens because the Lord knows what we need in life to experience to grow stronger and closer to Him.
I hope that I can sit in my old age and say to myself, "There's nothing to worry about, because I am still here; I have lived an accomplished life, been blessed and I am happy." Sitting down and speaking with this old man has blessed my life, helped me to see what I need to be doing to sit like he was; happy even with the things that have turned the opposite way than promised. Because of this conversation I now have a different perspective and an eye of optimism on my path to Keep Moving Forward.
No comments:
Post a Comment