Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Noisy Neighbors (Major Venting Alert)

I don't even know where to start with this one. 

Scott and I moved into this beautiful apartment about 6 months ago.  The place really is something; it's conveniently located, it's nice and roomy, easy to keep clean and manage.  However.  Our upstairs neighbors are a pain.  I am serious.  For the entire 6+ months we've lived here, I have yet to be impressed with how they manage themselves during the day.  

When we first moved in, I was still in my morning sickness phase of pregnancy; couldn't sleep at night, felt awful all day every day and couldn't eat anything.  To accompany that with stomping of feet, loud music, slamming of doors, fighting upstairs and, yes, even the occasional abuse I have heard, made my sickness even worse.  I would wake up crying in the middle of the night to the footsteps upstairs or try and take a nap during the day only to be interrupted by their viciously annoying dog yapping and scattering across the hardwood floor.  Soon enough, I was feeling back on my feet again and could leave the house without feeling like I was going to fall over with exhaustion.  Problem solved? 

My work schedule changed to one day a week, the school semester ended and I found myself at home every day all day again.  Problem not solved.  Something tells me that the neighbors think that just because our car isn't in the driveway, nobody is home.  Well.  They know I'm pregnant, they knew early on when we were due.  They just don't care about other people apparently because nothing has changed in the 6 months we've lived here.  Scott fortunately doesn't have to deal with it because he is at work and school all day.  But being home, and soon to be an at-home-mom, I do have to deal with it.  I find myself trying to retaliate when they play their music loud enough that I can hear every lyric, every note and downbeat by playing our music just as loud with our subwoofers on.  That works....sometimes.  But at any given moment, that will HAVE to STOP.  We will be bringing home a baby who will need to sleep.  If she doesn't sleep, the Mama doesn't sleep.  When the Mama doesn't sleep, the Mama gets reaaaaalllll grumpy.  Really.Grumpy.  Tired Mama+tired baby+annoying neighbors=disaster.  I will not be surprised on the day I walk upstairs to their door, still unshowered, with a crying baby in my arms, tears streaming down my own face and yelling at them to just shut up, pack up and move.  Go.Away.  Even if they don't understand me with the language barrier we struggle with.  They will HOPEFULLY FINALLY see that there are other human beings trying to live under them and that they have to use their brains and find the courtesy to settle down.  

You might think that I am just being a grumpy pregnant lady and am sick and tired of the neighbors.  Well.  There very well could be truth to that.  But I kid you not when I say I have almost called the cops on them for disruption, for abuse domestically and their dog.  Three offenses and it's not like they only happened once either.  Not to mention that they don't seem to care to tell their company that we SHARE a driveway.  One would think, "Okay, I'm having company over, but we have neighbors who share the driveway.  I need to make sure to tell my friends/family/whatever to only park on our side."  I came home from dropping Scott off at work one day to find a car parked diagonally across the driveway literally making me squeeeeeeeeze into MY SIDE of the driveway to park, forcing my pregnant self to shuffle out into the hedges to get to MY front door.  Diagonally.  Who parks like that anyway?  Jerk.  

So then you think, "Okay, Hannah.  So talk to the neighbors about it."  Remember that language barrier I told you about?  They hardly speak English.  Though, I will say, if it continues after little miss is born, I will talk to them about it and it will not be nicely.  I keep trying to tell Scott that he should probably be on the one to talk to them because he will actually be level-headed and not so annoyed because he doesn't have to listen to it every day all day.  Maybe I'll get him one day.  If that option fails you would think, "So talk to the landlord about it."  Ooooooh trust me.  How I want to.  It might get to that point too because my fuse if getting shorter and shorter each day that passes because each day that passes, I am more and more likely to bring a baby home.  My fear is that if it does get to the point where I tell the landlord...will he do anything about it?  We've met him very briefly and he is extremely nice.  Very kind and thoughtful.  But unfortunately, that's the fear I have.  He's too kind and too thoughtful.  I guess I won't know unless I get to that point. 

All in all.  I'm tired.  It's become an every day battle with these guys.  One would think that after fighting back with music equally as loud, banging on the ceiling to get them to shut up and glaring at their stupid yapper dog every time I get out of the car, that they would catch on that they need to turn it down a little, train their dog, take the fight somewhere else.  One would think that they would realize that they have people living underneath them who are trying to keep a peaceful home.  *shrugs*  One day.  If not soon, I will make it soon.  They'll get it from a tired new mommy who just wants to sleep...and that's the worst kind. 

Even if it takes all my energy to do it, I will Keep Moving Forward

2 comments:

  1. We had that problem with our last house! Definitely call the Landlord. That's what he's hired for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really hoping she will handle it well. So far, when we've had visitors, she's slept through everything. The loud laughs, voices and sounds. If they don't change and I see that it is interfering with her sleep, I will be giving him a call. I know I certainly will not be able to handle it haha

      Delete