Friday, November 21, 2014

9 Months In, 9 Months Out!

Here we are folks, 9 months old.  It's amazing to me how much she's grown this last month!  She's learned so much, too!  Melia had a huge month so let's get started!!


Week 1:

For awhile now, we've been turning the TV on in the background and turning on kid shows.  Well Melia caught on and she loves them.  Her favorite show is Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  Haha.  It's really funny.  She can be crying and super upset and the moment she hears, "Hey everybody!  It's me, Mickey Mouse!!"  She turns to me and smiles and starts bouncing up and down.  Cutest thing ever.
 When Scott and I watch basketball or football, she couldn't care less about the TV.  Smart little cookie caught on quick to which shows are hers and which ones are Mama and Papa's.

Melia has started to giggle and laugh a lot more.  A lot more.  Oh man is it the best thing ever.  We were upstairs visiting with Josh and Stephanie and Josh had Melia on his lap while Steph was tossing leaves up in front of them.  Melia was going NUTS over it.  Giggling away so hard she could hardly stay in Josh's lap.  Scott said that a couple days later, he took her leaf pile hoping, which she also loved and went wild over.  Fall seemed so short this year.  Which makes me sad.  It's just so harshly cold anymore.

On a personal note.  I FINALLY got my feet back into my favorite heels.  I know, me in heels is a hard thing to imagine.  But it's true.  I enjoy them.  And these ones I particularly love.  As you are probably well aware, I'm pretty obsessed with giraffes.  So naturally I had to buy giraffe high heels.  They are awesome.  Probably a 4-5 inch heel on them.  Anyway, I didn't wear my heels much past 20 weeks pregnant because I got big fast and then my feet, though not much, did swell up.  Just enough that I couldn't fit in a few of my shoes.  I've tried putting my giraffe heels on several times since Melia had
been born and was just saddened each time I tried.  But 8 months after she was born, long over a year since I've been able to wear them, I got my feet back in them!  Holla!!


Week 2:

Every now and then I find a coupon online for a man-pedi deal that's too great to let go.  So I buy it.  I used that coupon this week for a much needed break.  It was a lot of fun, the woman that did my nails was nice and fun to talk with.  At the end of the pampering, I was offered a deal to come back for a discount.  I called Scott to see if that was okay and he said, "Sure, do it for your birthday!"  So I told the manager that my husband said he would do it as a birthday present at the end of the month and I got an even better discount and an added treatment to my day.  I'm excited for that.  =]

That same day, we went to the Jazz game with our friend Big Mike.  It was a lot of fun.  The funny part about it, is I called my mom to ask if she thought we should take Melia to the game or have
someone watch her while we were gone.  She told me that she thought we should just take her with us and that they would even help us because they were going to the game too!  The game was a lot of fun.  Melia loved it!  She got tired in the last 30 minutes of the game so she was pretty grumpy but even being out with a friend, watching the game, that was enough.  We don't get to go out a lot anymore and I feel like our friends are nervous to ask us to hang out.  Don't be.  Please.  We still like people and hanging out.  Talking with other adults is always a nice thing.  One can only handle so much Mickey Mouse and airplane rides.

This week, one of my teachers at lessons had a birthday!  Yay!  But her parents surprised her with tickets to a concert she had wanted to go to and they fell right in the middle of lessons.  Not a big deal, she told me once she found out and she said she'd call the sub list.  Unfortunately, winter lessons are hard to find a sub because of school and high school sports.  So I let her know that I would sub for her if need be.  Well, it needed be.  It was fun though.  I haven't taught in a few months.  It was pretty nice to get back in the water =]

She's upset that her hands don't fit through.
On a more serious note.  Driving is the worst.  A lot of people around here have a hard time following the laws of the road.  Like lane sweeping; lane sweeping is illegal.  Switching lanes without signaling; illegal.  Driving 10-15 under the speed limit is also illegal and extremely annoying.  I have bad luck driving.  Always stuck behind those who want to drive slowly.  Whether they're on their phone, texting or just not paying attention to the road.  Texting, by the way, is a stupid, stupid thing to do while driving.  So stop it and stop others.  If you know someone is going to be driving, wait to text them.

Halloween was this week!  Ooooooh and was Melia so dang cute.  My mom bought her a giraffe costume from Costco that she is absolutely perfect in!!  We didn't do a whole lot on Halloween, but we did enough.  We went to a block party that a family in my ward does every year; hot dogs, funny costumes, hot chocolate, music and fun!  Then we went around a saw all the families we thought would like to see Melia before it got too dark.  We probably could have seen a couple other families, but poor Melia gets so darn grumpy if she's up past bedtime.  I seriously can't get over her costume.  I've put her in it several times since because she's just so stinkin' cute in it!!

This week Basketball season started for the Cougs!  WOOHOO!  I love basketball season!  It's the best.  Since I'm not in school though, I don't have a student pass.  So if you ever have an extra pass, hit me up!  I'll take it! =D

Week 3:

This week and the next has been HUGE for Melia developmentally.  For months, Melia has been cruising around on the couches and in her walker; anything she can get herself to a standing position and walk around, she'll use it.  Well, she's getting braver and stronger because she will now lean away from whatever she's been up against and just stand there, unsupported, BY HERSELF!  It's so great!  To see how quickly she's moving along with these milestones is fantastic.  A little scary, but fantastic.

On the fourth of November, I started working more hours.  Tuesday and Thursday I'm in charge of early afternoon lessons.  I come in at 2:00 instead of 4:00 and get some more things done and start lessons at 3:45.  It's nice because it's slow and quiet.  Plus it's more work hours =]

For the BYU football game this week, we went to Gma and Pops' to watch.  It was a lot of fun; we haven't seen Gma and Pops in a little while so of course Melia was the life of the party for a little bit until everyone else showed up.  The game was fun.  Melia got a little restless at one point so I missed a bit of the game.  But she went nuts on the bean bags in the TV room.  She does this funny crawl where she'll bury her head, face down, and crawl into pillows, blankets and apparently bean bags.  It's really cute.  I need to record it for you guys to watch.  It just makes Scott and I laugh.

On Saturday, we went to the BYU Women's Chorus concert!  OH MY HEAVENS!  First of all, I miss WC HORRIBLY!  Second, they did amazing.  Third, they re-did a few of my favorite songs.  Reflections of Yad Vashem being the one I looked forward to the most.  If you want to listen to the song, hit me up.  But, the story behind it is beautiful.  It's about the children of the Holocaust.  Yad Vashem is a museum with stories and cases full of Holocaust and WWII stories.  One of the rooms is dedicated to the children killed during this time.  The writer of the piece wanted to make a song for these children and when he was stuck on what to do, his wife turned to him and said, "Why don't you start with the names of the children?"  And so he did.  The piece has names of Holocaust children woven in throughout and it's absolutely beautiful.  It's so moving and the music behind it is just touching.  Honestly, words cannot accurately describe the feeling of the piece.  Please, come listen to it if you have the chance.  I will gladly burn you a CD (given, you provide the CD) with that song and any other WC piece you could want!

On Sunday of this week, the whole Christensen clan (minus Hannah Lynn; singing pregnant is hard work) sang in church.  We sang "I Stand All Amazed" which is my favorite hymn.  My parents came to listen and help Hannah take care of Melia.  That ended up being a good thing because Melia got really fussy right before we went up to sing and my dad had to go to the back and stand with her and walk around.  The song went really well.  Especially when you consider that we only practiced three times with Bro. Sorensen, our accompanist.  I sang the soprano part to the piece which took me to an Eflat or F which is getting close to the top of my range, but I felt really good singing it.  It definitely helps that I have more space in my throat with my tonsils gone.

Week 4:

This "week 4" is like "week 4.....and a half."  Because Melia's monthly birthday is on the 21 each month, sometimes it gets all weird.  This is one of those times.  So bear with me.

We used this picture for the contest
So, on the 17th, voting for the Gerber Photo Contest opened.  EVERYONE VOTE EVERY DAY FOR MELIA!  You can do so at photosearch.gerber.com and enter in Melia from UT (has to be abbreviated) or enter in her ID# 199524.  EVERY DAY UNTIL DECEMBER 14TH!!!  That would
be great.  Thanks.  Also.  Tell everyone you know about it and tell them to vote too; as long as they are 18 or older.  Cool thanks.  If Melia wins, she will be the next Gerber baby and her adorable face will be on Gerber products!  SO DO IT!  =D

We went to the BYU basketball game this week!  Oh that was a lot of fun!  I love basketball so much.  We sat all the way up in the back because by the time we got there, it was already pretty full.  But the fun part about the night was not actually the game.  While driving up to park at the Marriott (which they changed to reserved parking only without telling anyone....stupid) I saw my friend Trevor.  So I rolled the window down and shouted for his attention.  Since we were stopped at a light, he came over and talked to us for a minute and as he left, I said, "Well I guess we'll see you in there!"  Mostly kidding because that place is huge.  So Scott and I finally parked and walked over from the Tanner building and went up, and up in the student section.  We found a row that was empty and went to go sit and as we turned in, there was Trevor, just sitting down!  It was pretty great.  So we sat with him for about half the game and when Melia got a little fussy, we went to the back back back of the seating so I could feed her and be out of the way of people.  Melia was having so much fun while we were down with Trevor though!  There was a group of girls behind us and they were playing and flirting with Melia!  It was really fun.  I enjoy when people play with her; she loves the attention and she's always happy to get it from anyone she can haha.

These are the looks I get when I eat my food.  She begs. 
On Saturday, November 15th, there was a charity 5k for Nate and Kacee Houle.  Kacee (Hildebrant) graduated with Scott and they ran cross country together throughout high school.  They were pretty great friends.  Nate is Kacee's husband of just over 4 years and they have a 1 year old boy, Ames.  About 4 weeks ago, Nate was diagnosed with T4 Maxillary Sinus cancer.  Nate is 25, healthy and strong.  This came as a huge surprise to everyone.  There was no debating the fact that we were going to sign up for this 5k.  It was a lot of fun, actually.  I am proud of myself for the run.  Considering the fact that Scott and I went running two weeks prior, and before that it had been at least 3 years since the last time I ran, I did well.  I ran 1.5 miles without needing to stop and then when I did, we gave Melia her bottle because she was getting really fussy.  We started right back up after she got her bottle.  After that, I made it another good chunk (the guy that was reading out the distance was long gone by the time we started running after Melia had her bottle...) We probably made it another mile before I had to walk again and we didn't walk for long.  Melia was freezing at this point though =[  She had two pair of pants, two pair of socks, two layers of shirts on, a hood, an extra adult sized shirt over her head and four blankets PLUS socks on her hands.  I felt so bad.  She was so cold, our poor girly.  So I told Scott to just finish the race and get her out to try and calm her down and I started to "run" again after that.  It was probably more like a jog, but hey, it wasn't walking.  Anyway, I finished the race in 32 minutes!!  My best time from high school, when I was playing soccer, swimming AND doing track, was 21 minutes.  So I fell pretty dang good about that time.

Once we got home and showered and gave the girly a nice warm bath and got her all toasty warm, my parents picked us up and we went up to Salt Lake to the Museum of Natural History of Utah.  That was a lot of fun!  There was tons of neat stuff in there.  We had a pass to "Behind the Scenes" where we got to see the archives and stuff they keep, well, behind the scenes.  We saw pressed flowers, animal skulls, minerals, underwater creatures and dinosaur bones and fossils.  THAT was the really cool part.  Of course we had Melia roar when we were in the dinosaur part.  Those things were HUGE!  It was so crazy.  It was awesome.  Plus they also had a horse exhibit there.  We were in and out of that exhibit fast.  It was crazy humid in that room.  Scott said the difference was like walking into Brazil for the first time.  But they had all sorts of information on horses and different uniforms the horses would wear for different era's.  We had a lot of fun.  Melia loved it.  She was super wiggly the whole time though.  Didn't want to be held because she wanted to just grab everything.  So that made it a little difficult haha.
At the Horse exhibit at the museum!

After we got home from the museum, we went straight to the Forbe's place.  Daniel and Camille had come up for the weekend and we wanted to see them.  They invited us over to dinner with Daniel's parents which was a lot of fun.  I really love that family.  They are wonderful.  We had tacos and just caught up with everyone and everything.  After dinner, Daniel, Camille, Scott and myself went to the living area to play with Melia.  She was really good during the whole event which is really saying something.  We played and watched the BYU football game and talked and taught Melia to walk!  While we were in the front area, we were taking her back and forth and eventually, she just started doing it herself.  She's not full on walking by herself, but if someone leads her off, she will take 3-4 steps BY HERSELF until she gets to the other person.  IT'S SO CRAZY I CAN'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.  She's walking now.  At any time, she could just start going by herself.  She stands long enough, she's definitely strong enough for it.  She's just a little nervous to do it all by herself I think.  It's funny to watch her couch cruise now that she knows she can step on her own.  She will look and reach for a toy she wants that's obviously out of her reach and she'll lean away from the couch to stand on her own and think about taking a step, think about it some more then just kind of plop down and crawl to the toy.  Haha, it's great.

Melia also just started to clap Wednesday, the 19th =] If you look at her and say, "Yaaayyy!"  She'll smile real big and clap.  She also starts clapping if you sing Patty-Cake.  She loves that song.  Melia is just a great big, energetic bundle of joy.

Yesterday my parents celebrated my birthday early since they're out of town.  They left this morning to go to AZ to do Thanksgiving with my sister and her husband and my birthday is on Sunday.  So
we went to Braza Grill and then opened presents at my parents house.  My parents got me a sewing machine, sewing scissors, a new make-up bag/wallet/clutch combo, really awesome boots and Scott got me really cute purple corduroy pants and the Maze Runner series to read.  It's been a great birthday weekend so far!  This morning I had a "pick-me-up" spa morning.  I had a full facial, had my eyebrows waxed and a pedicure.  I got cute holiday toes =]  The facial was so fantastic.  I've only had a couple before and they're so far between that I forget how much I love them.  So great.  So wonderful.  I've felt great all day!!  Tomorrow we're going to see the Hunger Games!! WOOHOO!!  I'm so PUMPED!  I'm obsessed with the Hunger Games.

It's been a great month!  A lot has happened developmentally with Melia and she'll only keep going!  I've been fighting an infection this last week and it's really giving me a hard time; I've had a headache since Tuesday and have been sick since Sunday.  But, I do have antibiotics that are really helping, they just make my stomach a little yucky and I think they are what's giving me the headache.  But I'm getting better and that's a good thing.  Melia is getting a lot better about sleeping at night and she's getting better at her naps.  So all-in-all we're a happy family!  We'll all have our ups and downs, but no matter what happens, we Keep Moving Forward.




No comments:

Post a Comment